- Start: 01/10/2022
- End: 30/09/2025
Construction and metallurgical industrial sectors are classified as the most significant in terms of environmental impact. Consequently, it is essential to make an additional effort to carry out the recovery of both Construction and Demolition Waste (CDW) and steel slags in order to achieve a reduction in landfill wastes and avoid the exploitation of new resources, and the direct and indirect impacts derived from it.
In this scenario, several strategies have been proposed to increase the sustainability of these production processes. One of the most promising is the alkaline activation technology (AAT) to obtain new products, sustainable materials with cementitious characteristics produced by the activation of industrial waste rich in aluminosilicates.
In order to increase the range of applicability of these materials, the CIRCOM project will improve the binder properties by optimizing the AAT process itself. These materials, with low environmental impact, will be used in three applications linked to the generating sectors:
i) Precast elements,
ii) casting moulds, and
iii) Refractory concrete free of cement.
In particular, AIMEN will work on the design of new formulations essentially based on the alkaline activation of steel slags to obtain binder systems with improved properties in terms of mechanical resistance at high temperatures, so that they can be integrated into the metallurgical manufacturing process of casting and forging.
- Sectors: Energy, Construction, Metal
- Financing programme: AYUDAS A PROYECTOS ORIENTADOS A LOS RETOS DE LA SOCIEDAD
- R&D&i: Materials under extreme conditions, waste treatment and valorisation
- Contributors: Cantera La Torreta S.A., Fundación Azterlan, Instituto de Tecnología Cerámica - Asociación de Investigación de las Industrias Cerámicas (ITC-AICE)
- Leader: Reinosa Forgings & Castings
- Acronym: CIRCOM
- Ambit: National